My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Movie Review

I listened to Eat, Pray, Love on our flight to London two years ago. The book was both an enjoyable and insightful read. To be honest, I haven't found since going blind that I really read for pleasure a lot. I still yearn to curl up in a corner and hold the book and read. So, this was an event that I actually enjoyed this book. I was on an airplane and was desperate to pass the time probably helped, too. Anyway, I enjoyed the book and have looked forward to seeing the movie. We were able to go to the movie yesterday with some friends.

My review: Loved the ending. Loved that I am still reflecting on it and the message that I took from the movie. Lose yourself and love. Everything in life can be your teacher. It was a little long. I left really tired afterward. I was trying too hard to figure out what was happening on the screen (Steve tried to clue me in.) I want to go back, relax, just listen, enjoy the dialogue and get a big buttery bag of popcorn.

Cricket was quiet for most of the movie. About half-way through she realized I was sitting by a friend that she loves! So she stood up and started wagging her tail. A quick hello and she calmed back down.

I am curious. Have you seen the movie? read the book? What is your opinion?

10 comments:

Lisa and pups said...

We were planning on seeing that movie this week. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Infrequent Flyers said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I loved the book. I usually find book-based movies a bit disappointing, but I will still see it at some point.

I also loved the author's more recent book, Committed. It's about marriage, her own as well as the practice of marriage in general. I felt the book strengthened my own marriage, just through the shared insight that we can be so radically different from our spouses and still enjoy one another's crazy quirks.

Becky Andrews said...

Lisa - I hope you enjoy it and Hosta sleeps through it well!

Mimi - Agree. I didn't know she had written that next book. Sounds like a good one. Maybe I'll break down and listen to it.

Becky Andrews said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy said...

I bought the book a couple of weeks ago and started reading it. I didn't like Liz much at the beginning of the book and I was not sure how I would like the movie, but we went on Friday and I loved it. I came home and read half of the book yesterday. I am loving it. I want to go see the movie again and just let it all sink in.

Becky Andrews said...

Kathy - I am feeling the same way. I think it is one of those movies worth seeing a second time.

Beth Finke said...

Haven't read the book or seen the movie but know what you mean about missing cuddling up with a book. One thing I like about listening, though: I can do it with my eyes closed, helps me fall asleep at night!

Kauaiart said...

I've read the book 3 times and seen the author deliver her sweet story at TED.com
What an inspiring story. What a journey for her to leave all that was expected of her, to grow and search and trust she would find happiness.
My friend Susan, who lent me her book, saw it the day it opened and said it really did measure up to the book.
Can't wait to go!

Ro said...

Becky, call your local theatres and find out if any of them have descripted movies. I have one theatre in town who does it. I have to call ahead and find out what movie is showing in theatre 1. If it's descripted, I can stop by first and get a pair of headphones. Then I can be in there and hear the descritption. I haven't done it yet. I've been listening to lots of described movies that I've downloaded and it makes them so much more enjoyable. I hope a theatre in your area offers it!

Becky Andrews said...

Ro, thanks - great tip. Gateway used to do so. I heard they had discontinued the service. I'm going to check. We have been to a couple this way and I LOVE it! It helps immensely.

Suzy - hope by now you have been able to go and enjoyed it. What a special treat to hear her. Agree, what a brave adventure.