My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Typical Tuesday

I recently was asked what was a typical day like for Cricket. Here's a typical Tuesday: the morning starts with Cricket as my alarm clock. She takes this job seriously and is about 90% accurate to wake us up at 6 am. She sleeps on her bed on the floor by the side of our bed. Our alarm is a nose on the side of the bed. I love my alarm girl. It gets me going. We get up and in dog language 'do business' and then have breakfast. Cricket goes back to her bed while I get ready. Then, I ask Cricket if she wants to go running. She gets excited, runs around in circles and stands by the door. In her language this means, we go outside and water the plants. She is able to run and have some play time. A typical Tuesday work begins at the office at 8. This morning we had an 8 appointment then an hour break. We spent the break going for a walk and taking some paperwork over to another office which meant Cricket had about a 1/2 mile walk of guide work - including two street crossings. Then, it was back to napping for Cricket while I had clients from 10 - 2. At 2 we enjoyed another great mile walk up to the grocery store (three street crossings, find the door, find the counter and discussion with two people at the grocery store about guide dogs) to buy some lunch and back to the office. This was about a mile walk for Cricket. Then, clients from 3-5 while Cricket napped. While she is at my office which is rather small, her harness is off and she is on her Generally, Cricket and I go to yoga Tuesday night. With this beautiful weather, Steve and I decided to go for a bike ride instead. I know Cricket will miss yoga tonight. She hangs out for about 1 1/2 hours at home while we ride our tandem. Love to ride our bike -- except for saying good bye to this cute face.
Oh, I forgot a MAJOR event in Cricket's day. Dinner time between 3:30 and 5:00.

Cycling report: 24 mile loop -- what a great way to spend an evening. We've got to find more time to bike!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I know OJ would wake me up like that too if he stayed in my room.
Unfortunately he doesn't get walked much during the day when I'm at work, since its only 3 mins walk from the bus. Lucily I only work two days one week and three the next so there's plenty of days for walking. These evenings are nice and bright until nighttime so we have some nice walks in the evening.
I wish I had someone to cycle with and a decent tandem to cycle on.

wendy said...

Neat to see that even doggies have a schedule. What great bike rides you are able to take. After hubby has his hip surgery in August, we want to get us each a bike.

Beth Finke said...

Great description of a typical day with a guide dog. Thanks for the post!