My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Love these Puppies (and the raisers)

How fun to get to hold this adorable little 10-week old puppy, Carlos. Thanks Lindsey and Susi and Cricket and Joaquin for such a fabulous presentation to the Moran Eye Center on educating them about Guide Dogs for the Blind. It is so fun to share the journey from little puppy to a guide dog (or other career options).
We loved spending two evenings surrounded by puppies in training. You raisers are AMAZING. THANK YOU!!

7 comments:

Beth and Alfie said...

Oh how neat! Great picture. We had a little opportunity to share about guide dogs this week too, fun coincidence!

Sarah and the Pack. said...

Wow! Sounds like a great time!! I love presentations!

Retired Duo said...

I had a nice chat in the grocery store with the head of Guide Dog puppy raising in our area (she, of course, is raising one and I got to meet the dog). She acknowledged that it's hard to give the dogs up, but when I told her your story and how much you appreciate the puppy raisers, she said, "That's why I do it - to hear stories like that." I walked away feeling so good about Guide Dogs for the Blind and the puppy raisers.

wendy said...

How long does it take to actually TRAIN the dog
What an amazing ability

Becky Andrews said...

Thank you! Wendy, what a great idea for a post - stay tuned!

Clive said...

Great photo!

I just spent the day visiting some local schools and telling them about the work of Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind - as you say, the work that so many people put into training the puppies is fantastic. We rely hugely here on volunteers to help with a lot of our services and it is wonderful to see the time, commitment and effort that these volunteers gave to Irish Guide Dogs.

lindsey said...

We had fun tagging along with you and Cricket! If you ever need a puppy raiser to come along again, please call us! :)