My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, October 19, 2009

Life is like a Bike Ride

We did it (completed our 100 mile bike ride on Saturday)! I found myself thinking of many analogies of this bike ride and life. For example:
*The downhills are appreciated after the climb. This ride had so many hills and that is so grueling on a tandem (whine, whine) but the downhills are SO much fun. Yes, I do stick my feet out and sing.
*Some people come into our lives for a short time just when we need them (thank you to the nice people on stop 4 who still had oranges left) and others we are enjoying for eternity (thanks Steve for being there with me for all 100).
*At times we cheer others on and at times we need to be cheered on. Both are an important part of a ride and life.
*A 100 mile ride is manageable by breaking it into small increments (20 miles to lunch, this is 4x of our legacy ride).
*Live in the moment. Its easy to focus forward on getting done - how many miles are left? what time will we get done? instead of enjoying the beautiful day and the experience.
*This ride had our own unique challenges and victories. We crossed the finish line at our own pace.

4 comments:

Infrequent Flyers said...

Hooray! Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment, and that you were able to complete it even with your mom getting sick. I loved your analogies between life and biking. Reminds me of the Tom Hanks movie "The Terminal"--life is lived in the moment, while we're waiting in lines, in between flights, and having chance encounters, not just in the end result.

3 labs 4 me said...

Way to go you guys! One hundred miles..........very impressive!! You should be proud of your accomplishment.

Lacey said...

So cool of you guys! I'm really working on Rob and getting a tandem bike. I would love to have something like that with Rob....what a fun thing to do together.

Becky Andrews said...

Mimi - such great message from terminal - enjoyed that movie.
Debi - thanks! we did it.
Lacey - that would be so much fun for you to get a tandem - we'll ride with you.