My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, October 26, 2009

Balanced

A teen client and I had a conversation the other day and she said, yeah you get it! (Personal issue: I love when they don't think I am too old to get it. Although several have had to explain the whole high school late start thing to me - apparently now they get to have late starts every other Friday as well as early outs on other days - I thought the whole A day B day was hard enough to keep track of) Our conversation was in summary - At times she FEELS overwhelmed and then that = life IS overwhelming. It is easy for our emotions to = reality when really that isn't the case. Are you still with me? I feel inadequate doesn't mean I am inadequate. We talked about how you can sit with the feelings of inadequacy without feeling you are inadequate. At times I feel overwhelmed (insert any word in there) and talking it through helps SO much (not trying to sell my profession or anything :D). I am amazed at what a good brisk walk or any exercise and talking and sharing can do for me to help me put it all into perspective. Steve, Cricket and I headed out to Legacy Trail for the crisp Sunday morning. We had the trail almost to ourselves and walked briskly as we talked. As we made it back to the car, I felt so much better. There is something so calming about being out in nature. We were hearing birds and couldn't figure out where they were until we finally realized they were on the electric wires (100s of them were hanging out there). A few questions - how do they know which wires are safe to land on? They were chirping so loudly - we wondered if they were talking about which way to go south: San Diego or Phoenix? Snow is supposed to come here on Tuesday - do they know? By the end of the walk I felt balanced - not so overwhelmed and ready to enjoy the day.

1 comment:

OSU 98 said...

I know what you mean...the last few weeks have been overwhelming in a number of different ways, and I sometimes allow myself to think too much and let everything pile up - yet somehow, someway, I manage to always reach out, grab on and get a grip...sometimes easier than others, esp when I am tired..