My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, July 20, 2009

Make that Call

Last week I spent an evening with a friend whose wife had died recently. Our eye condition had brought us together 15 years ago - crazy schedules, distance, illness in their family led to us losing touch for several years. I had heard his wife was ill and kept meaning to call her. Time went by and she died this past April. I didn't hear about it until about 6 weeks later. We began to reconnect through email and phone calls and eventually meeting at a central location that was easy to get to by the bus. We had a lovely dinner and plan to do so again. I shared with him the following experience that I wish I would of been able to share with his wife.

I remember her coming to our home when our kids were young. It was shortly after I had quit driving and I was feeling overwhelmed with my abilities as a mom. She came into our home and in her kind and loving way she complimented me on my abilities as a mom and as a homemaker. She told me she hoped her daughter (who had recently been diagnosed with RP) would be like me. At that point, that meant the world to me. I remember saying something like 'really?? oh, thank you.' Her sincerity, love and support to me was so appreciated. I wish I could of told her this before she died ...

As he and I sat there that evening, we laughed and cried. Her life was cut so short at age 46. I can't make up for that missed call ... that note of appreciation I wish I had of written but once again I can be reminded to write, call, email the next time I think of someone before its too late.

As we were talking - he mentioned a few different times - I think I told her I loved her that morning. I am sure he did - their love was deep. She, like my Steve, helped him through the challenging days of RP.

6 comments:

OSU 98 said...

Such calls are so important...thanks for the reminder. Also a good reminder to live and love freely and that life is precious...

Tabatha said...

*tears* I am sure that she knew how much of a difference she had made for you! As I am sure that he told her he loved her! Thank you for such a touching reminder of why we need to let the small things roll and remember to tell those we love how much we care as often as possible!!

3 labs 4 me said...

Each day is such a gift isn't it? Even more important to tell our love ones how much we love them. Thanks for the special story & the reminder...............

Sarah and the Pack. said...

Thank you for the reminder to appreciate what we have, while we have it. I find that being surrounded by dogs in my life makes me realize just how quickly time goes by. There never seems to be enough time to do everything I need to, and at the same time there is so much time to enjoy and so many moments to treasure.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

What a good reminder!

Lisa and pups said...

oh, so sorry to hear about your friend. IT's a good reminder to share those so important things.