My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Remembering Congressman Bill Orton

Former Utah Congressman Bill Orton, died on Saturday, age 60 from an ATV accident. I was saddened to hear this news and surprised to realize he was 60 ... okay then I had to do the math and realize that is true!. In the early 90's when we had two Polo Matches as fundraisers for the then RP Foundation - he was there - cheering us on and willing to get on the horse to play Celebs vs. Politicans in a match to raise money for research. I remember he stopped to put on the simulated goggles and try to understand what Retinitis Pigmentosa was like ... I felt listened to and understood by him.
I love that he is being remembered repeatedly for his strong commitment to his family, his willingness to stand up for his values and his passion for what he believed in as well as an independent thinker. Thinking about his wife and two sons. He will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

Karen said...

We were so sad to hear of his untimely death. He was a good man who cared about all of the people and their concerns. I agree he will be missed.

Mom