My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, December 22, 2008


I usually start complaining about the snow after Christmas, so I'm a little early this year! The snow and cold creates some interesting challenges and obstacles for me and Cricket. Cricket has many more decisions to make in the winter: decide if the snow can be walked through (for instance in a new snowstorm - can we just walk through and get our feet a little wet), or is it frozen snow that is an obstacle. Also, the many paths have changed - some people don't shovel their sidewalks. She did so good yesterday walking home from church, she knew we were going home and saw that one side of the sidewalk had been shoveled and the other one was clearer - she stopped looked and I encouraged her to go. I love to see her use her initiative to make good choices. Right now, it is a total white out ... in a few hours I will have to go outside and walk to my other office across the street and south a couple blocks. She may just have to put it in four paw drive and plow through. She knows the routine and where we go on Monday afternoon so I am confident she will make a good choice.

3 comments:

Princess Coral said...

What a smart girl, Cricket!!!
Don't know what I'd do in that white stuff because it almost never happens here in So-Cal! It's raining again though...

OSU 98 said...

Smart girl, Cricket, smart girl. I am not a fan of the snow myself. I will begin lobbying for some new chew toys for you for a job well done in the snow.

3 labs 4 me said...

Cricket is amazing to say the least. I love to watch her navigate. Poetry in motion. We're snowed in the Portland area too. Home bound since Saturday a.m. We're hoping that our flight will get out tomorrow night.