My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Overwhelm ...


At times, vision loss creates a real feeling of overwhelm for me. When my life feels disorganized, I notice it more. This is not a picture I am proud of but I thought if I posted it, I may do something about it, right! Cricket loves to sleep in my closet ... I think you can see why! There is often some clothes lying on the floor and it has a nice closed in/ snuggley feeling that she loves. However, it has gotten out of hand so I spent the past hour getting it back organized. Steve is great to help with this task ... helping me organize my clothes by color, tell me what doesn't look 'cool' any longer (Natalie - I miss you!), etc. I even got all my socks back in the right bin ... I have a brailled labels on my drawers for 'blue' socks and 'black' socks. Cricket might be sad that it isn't as cuddly of a place to lie in ... but I feel much better about life and a little more organized.

4 comments:

3 labs 4 me said...

I used to be the most organized person in the world. Now, I'm right there with you, girlfriend. What has happened to me? Either it's age or it really doesn't matter that much to me, any longer. I'm waiting for our rainy season to start, then I will organize my closets, drawers, etc. At least, that is my intention, at this point. Love Ya!

OSU 98 said...

Why would she sleep on anything else? Clothes on the floor are fair game!

Sharon has the same moments as you describe - having blind moments is what she calls them. Like you, she did have sight - for almost half her life. In our talks, she has admitted that she had them more when she had her first dog, and that Sheridan would lay on top of her as if to say Get a grip!!! I wish she had not moved. I miss having her close - I could always convince her she "needed" to go to Target. Sigh.

Along the lines of socks....One time, she told me she needed a sock sorter. Me, being sighted and not yet in tune to the sock struggles of the visually challenged, thought real hard for a minute...had I ever seen one of those in a store, anywhere? Where could I possibly go to locate one? Bed bath & Beyond maybe? Finally, I asked - Where do you buy one of those? Sharon looked at me and said - its you silly. We got a good laugh out of that. I remember asking Sharon as I first got to know her - you never are mismatched, how do you do that? Her reply - I am fanatical about it. :) Indeed she is.

Now that your closet is in order, you will feel better. Cricket is waiting for some fresh air - being as you took her favorite "blankets" away from her!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

This makes me feel better!! Life has been so topsy turvy lately, I just don't know what to do with myself -- I'm glad that my neat freak mom has her moments too! You need me back there -- my bedroom used to be the messiest room in the house hands down! You never had to worry about winning the messy award!

Becky Andrews said...

Love you guys! Thanks for the encouraging words.