My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Last Lecture


A client shared with me on Monday the story of Randy Pausch and his "Last Lecture" that has had millions reading and following his life since he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He died last week at the age of 47. His message is of celebrating life and each day. It is an inspiring story of a life well lived, of seizing each day, finding humor and joy in each day, and appreciating the lessons learned in life. He said he was going to keep having fun every day he had left. Find the best in everybody, show gratitude, be prepared, get a feedback loop... so many good messages.

How many of us have had something that felt like a brick wall - a door closing in our lives or something we tried for and didn't get. Dr. Pausch says, "The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."

I remember being diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa ... boy, I did not think there were any doors going to be open for me. (at the time I knew no one who was blind and couldn't even comprehend being married, having children, a career!) It felt at the time like I had run into a big brick wall . . . when I think now of the lessons learned, beautiful relationships gained with people and dogs, rewarding career and yes even ways I have been challenged and stretched, most days I am so grateful for the journey.

Thank you, Dr. Pausch for the beautiful message and a life well lived.

No comments: